The transmission of the car is assigned to transfer torque from the engine to the driving wheels of the car. In this case, the magnitude of the torque changes. In a front-wheel drive car, the front wheels are driving, the torque is supplied to them, in a rear-wheel drive car, to the rear. Cars that use all four wheels with torque are all-wheel drive.
The transmission of a car is technically quite a multifunctional mechanism, which, in turn, involves smaller connections. It includes: clutch, gearbox, various joints, differential, cardan shaft (which is used only in rear-wheel drive cars, to connect the rear wheels to the engine). And "grenades" are equal angular joints, they are used only in front-wheel drive cars.
- to transmit torque from the engine to the drive wheels;
- changes the direction of the torque and its magnitude;
- distribution between the wheels of torque.
The transmission of a car in our time must have high reliability with minimal production costs. Therefore, the requirements for its quality are quite high.According to the energy conversion, transmissions are divided into the following types:
- mechanical, serves to transmit and convert torque;
- electrical, converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, transfers it to the drive wheels, again switches from electrical to mechanical;
- combined, there is electrical and hydromechanical energy;
- hydrostatic, with the help of mechanical energy creates a fluid flow, entering the drive wheels, goes back to mechanical.
More used in cars is manual transmission.
The transmission that changes torque automatically is called "automatic transmission".
Drive wheels can be front, rear, or both.
When using only the front - front-wheel drive car.
When using the rear - rear-wheel drive.
The transmission structure itself is different and depends on the drive wheels.
So understand and understand what a transmission is before making your choice.
The rear-wheel drive car has the following nodes:
- main gear;
- cardan gear;
- half shaft;
The front wheel drive car includes:
- main gear;
- drive shafts"half shafts";
In a front-wheel drive car, a differential with final drive is located in the gearbox.
Hinges (flexible connection of parts) transmit torque to the wheels from the differential, which are leading. When connected to the differential, two more hinges are used. They complete the transfer of torque to the wheels.
The automatic transmission of a car today is more expensive to manufacture, so much attention is paid to its development and improvement. This is the trend of today's world. She is more secure. In urban traffic, the driver gets tired less.