The car is a complex of complex components and mechanisms. No matter how automakers improve production technology and increase reliability, no one is immune from sudden breakdowns. This applies to all car enthusiasts. Both the owner of an expensive foreign car and a supported VAZ may encounter such a malfunction as engine tripping. Well, let's consider why the "check" is flashing on the car and the engine is troit.
What is engine tripping?
First, let's look at the definition of this concept. This term appeared due to the 4-cylinder engine design, where if one of the cylinders failed, only three working pistons remained. However, tripling is not only applicable to four-cylinder internal combustion engines. Now this concept is applied to all internal combustion engines - six-cylinder and even twelve-cylinder.
How do you know if the engine is troit? With such a malfunction, the "check" of the engine does not always flash. Therefore, it is important to be aware of third-party signs that may indicate a problem:
- Increased engine vibration. It is significantly noticeable at low and idle speeds.
- Change the color of the spark plug. After removal, her head will be dark. Since the mixture does not ignite, the candle is covered with soot and soot.
- Increase in fuel consumption. This feature is related to the previous one. Since the mixture is not flammable, it simply escapes into the exhaust pipe.
- Loss of engine power. Since the engine is running on three cylinders, it does not have enough energy to produce the required torque.
- Exhaust sound. It will be unstable.
- The appearance of black or thick white smoke from the exhaust pipe.
- Intermittent jolts during acceleration and uniform motion. Also, this symptom indicates a misfire. This error is often associated with the ignition system.
It is worth listening carefully to the nature of the engine. If the friction increases at medium and high speeds, it can be assumed that the valves in the engine are not working properly. One simple reason is increased valve clearance.
In any case, if you find one or more of the above symptoms, you should take corrective action.
Causes of tripling
If a "check" is flashing on a VAZ car and the engine is troit, this may indicatefollowing issues:
- Presence of air leakage in the brake system (there may be problems with the vacuum booster).
- Failures in the adjustment of the ignition timing.
- Faulty spark plugs.
- Violation of the integrity of the high-voltage wire.
- Faulty ignition coil.
- Clogged air filter (engine lacks oxygen).
- Violation of carburetor adjustments (applies to older cars).
- Failures in adjusting the gas distribution mechanism.
Among the more serious problems, due to which the "check" flashes and the engine troit, we can distinguish:
- Worn intake or exhaust valve. This could be burnout or mechanical deformation of the plate.
- Intake manifold leakage.
- Worn oil seals (in this case, the engine consumes about one liter of oil per thousand kilometers).
Determine the faulty cylinder
Because of what cylinder is the "check" flashing and troiting the engine? Diagnostics will show the result. You can perform this operation yourself:
- Alternately disconnect the tips of the armored wires from each candle. It is advisable to do this in rubber gloves in order to prevent electric shock.
- Fix how much the nature of the engine has changed. If the motor runs even harder, then the cylinder is good. If, after removing the wire, the engine operates as before, respectively, this cylinderdefective.
Please note that when disconnecting the wire, you do not need to take the cap. You should take the wire, but carefully. It must not be pulled by force, otherwise the wire may be damaged.
Another way to check is computer diagnostics. In this case, we connect the diagnostic equipment to the ODB II connector and turn on the ignition. Then the computer will read all the errors. If this is a Toyota car, then a misfire in the third cylinder will be indicated by error p0303.
Start small. After a non-working cylinder is found, the spark plug should be inspected. More on this later.
How to check spark plugs?
For this we need a special candle key. All work is carried out on a cold engine. On many cars, access to candles is not limited. But on some models (for example, Nissan Qashqai), for this you first need to remove not only the decorative cover, but also the plastic intake manifold, as well as the throttle. When dismantling these units, stock up on new gaskets.
Having taken out a candle, it is worth examining its condition. It should not have any plaque. You also need to check the gap with a special probe. For each car, it is individual, but often it is 0.8 millimeters.
If the gap is too large, the spark simply cannot form, which is why the "check" flashes and the engine troits. If there is a large gap on the candle, this can be easily corrected. To do this, it is enough to bend the electrode slightly, and then check the distance with the same probe. If the candle has soot, it can be cleaned. You can also replace it with a known new one. In this case, we will know for sure what the problem is - in candles or in something else.
High voltage wires
What should I do if, after replacing the spark plug, the "check" flashes and the engine starts again? In such a situation, it can be assumed that the reason lies in the high-voltage wire. It can be checked in two ways:
- Visually. We take out our wire and look at its integrity. The high-voltage element must not contain cracks, cuts or abrasions. Any of these symptoms can cause a wire breakdown, causing the coil to fail to spark even a known-good spark plug. You can also check the wire in another way. In the dark, you need to watch his work. If "crickets" are visible, this indicates that there is a strong breakdown of the insulation.
- Using a multimeter. This is a more accurate way to diagnose. To measure the resistance of a high-voltage wire, the multimeter is switched to ohmmeter mode. Then, using the probes, you need to touch both sides of the wire. The device will then display information. The resistance of the BB wires should be no more than 10 kOhm. If the indicator is above the norm, this indicates the presence of a breakdown.
Ideally, high-voltage wires should be changed as a set.
Problems with fuel and othersystems
Burn "check" can also be due to a malfunction of the fuel system. At the same time, the engine will also troit. A common situation is an insufficient amount of fuel that is supplied to the cylinder. This may indicate that the injectors are dirty. But also tripling occurs for other reasons. This is:
- Dirty fuel filter.
- Problems with the fuel pump.
- Faulty air flow sensor.
- Throttle valve wear.
It is recommended to check the compression level. If at the same time the compression in the cylinder is low (it differs from neighboring cylinders by 2 or more units), this may indicate serious mechanical malfunctions, such as:
- Piston burnout.
- Piston ring wear.
In this situation, it will no longer be possible to fix the breakdown with your own hands. Requires engine disassembly and complex repairs.
If a car with LPG
Very often on cars with LPG equipment there is a similar problem. Why does the engine troit and the "check" flashes? There are several reasons for this:
- Clogged gas filter. Whatever generation HBO is, it always has a gas filter. This is a small size element, which is usually installed next to the evaporator reducer. On average, the filter resource is 20-30 thousand kilometers. But if you refueled with low-quality fuel, this period may come earlier. As a rule, the filter is clogged with graphite chips, which does not allow the gas to pass further through the reducer membranes. You can replace the cleaning element yourself. To do this, you must first turn off the valve on the tank, start the engine and work out the remaining gas from the line. Then unscrew the cap with a hexagon and replace the filter. It is also worth installing a new gasket. After completing the work, do not forget to unscrew the gas supply valve on the fuel tank again. At first, the engine will be difficult to start, but then it will stabilize (because the fuel needs time to get into the gearbox).
- Faulty gas injectors. The problem is relevant for the fourth generation HBO. At the same time, gas consumption increases, detonation and tripling appear. How to fix this problem? As a rule, the problem is fixed by flushing and calibrating the nozzles. However, unlike the previous case, it will be difficult to do these works on your own. Here it is better to seek help from specialists.
Other problems may be related to the ignition system, but these malfunctions are no different from simple gasoline cars without LPG. If the motor trips due to wires or candles, you need to act in the same way as described above.
Now all cars are equipped with catalysts. For the correct operation of the catalyst, a lambda probe is required. This is a special sensor that reads the remaining oxygen, based on which the mixture and ignition are corrected.
If the lambda probe malfunctions, the car may consume more fuel than it should. Also, the panel lights up."check". However, the engine may not trip. How to solve this problem? Since the new catalyst is very expensive, many simply knock out its "stuffing" and put a snag instead of an oxygen sensor. So the ECU will assume that the system is working correctly, and the "check" will no longer light on the panel.
So, we have examined why the "check" on the car is flashing and at the same time the engine is troit. The most common causes of breakdowns are a faulty candle or a breakdown in the winding of a high-voltage wire. You can check this yourself, even without diagnostic equipment (although, to save time, it is better to use it and just read error codes). Everyone can replace a candle or wire. You don't need any special tools for this. However, if the "check" is on due to burnout of the valves or wear of the rings, as shown by the compression measurement, only a professional minder can help in this situation.