The car's engine is the main source of energy for the vehicle.
The power unit of any car not only creates an energy potential, but also determines the following technical parameters:
- Maximum speed.
- Tractive power.
- Maintenance intervals.
- The amount of harmful substances emitted during operation.
- Fuel consumption in different modes.
The most common engines that are currently installed on cars of various classes and purposes are internal combustion engines. Depending on the fuel used to carry out the working process, automobile internal combustion engines are divided into gasoline and diesel. Recently, the number of engines running on gas fuel and electricity has been increasing, but such engines have not yet received mass use.
Engines for Kia and Hyundai
Practically allKia cars produced by the company, and these are more than 25 models, are equipped with Hyundai engines. This is due to the fact that the Kia company is an integral part of the Hyundai Motor Company concern, which ranks fourth in the world in terms of car production. Automotive products under the Hyundai brand are equipped with similar engines.
Development and production of its own powertrains makes the company not only independent of third-party suppliers, but also allows the produced cars to be equipped with several engine options, which increases demand. For example, the Hyundai Starex minibus, in addition to its base D4CB engine, can be equipped with four more ICE options.
Having its own base for the manufacture of motors allows the manufacturer to more often modify or release a new car model by reducing the time for design, technological and adaptation activities.
Additional profit comes from the sale of ready-made engines by companies that do not have their own resources for production, and later spare parts for these engines.
Features of Hyundai engines
Power units of the brand are produced at once at several production sites of the company in six countries of the world. Such a large volume of production is due to the widespread use of Korean engines due to the following advantages:
- high power;
- low sensitivity to fuel composition;
- compact size;
- light weight;
- affordable cost;
- Convenient and easy maintenance.
The range of produced engines is diverse and consists of engines with the following design and technical parameters:
- in-line four-cylinder petrol and diesel;
- in-line six-cylinder petrol;
- V-shaped six-cylinder diesel and petrol;
- V-8 diesel and petrol.
Such a diverse range of power units provides a complete set of concern vehicles from passenger models to heavy trucks. In limited volumes, low-power motors (from 2.0 to 32.0 hp) are produced for small equipment (chainsaws, generators, mopeds, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc.).
To mark and designate their motors, the company has developed, approved and operates a special system that allows you to find out the main technical parameters of the power unit by number. According to the established rules, ordinal signs (numbers or letters) denote the following:
- 1 (letter) - type of internal combustion engine, diesel (D), gasoline (G);
- 2 (number) – number of cylinders from 4 to 8;
- 3 (letter) – modification or model;
- 4 (number) – engine size;
- 5 (number or letter) – year of manufacture;
- 6 (number orletter) – manufacturer;
- last numbers - serial number.
According to the indicated designations, the D4CB engine stands for:
- four-cylinder in-line;
- third modification;
- volume 2.5L (B).
Depending on the turbocharging used, the D4CB's output ranges from 140 to 170 hp. s.
Additionally, it is worth noting that the produced engines of the Hyundai concern for cars have a four-stroke design and have four valves per cylinder.
The engine has received wide distribution and a long production period due to its parameters. The specifications of the D4CB engine are as follows:
- type - diesel;
- execution option - in-line;
- number of cylinders - 4 pieces;
- workflow - four stroke;
- volume – 2, 497 l;
- power - 140 hp s., since 2006 - 170 liters. p.;
- rpm at maximum power – 3,800;
- mixture supply option - direct injection;
- turbine type - TCI, since 2006 - VGT;
- compression value - 17, 6;
- workflow of cylinders – 1-3-4-2;
- cooling option - water;
- gas distribution mechanism - top with 2 shafts;
- piston - diameter 91mm;
- piston - stroke 96mm;
- number of valves - 16 pieces:
- timing execution - chain;
- length - 59.6 cm;
- height – 74.0 cm;
- width - 61.5 cm;
- dry weight –263.2kg;
- fuel consumption (combined) - from 7.9 liters to 11.5 liters.
The design features of the motor should include the head of the block, made of aluminum alloy, which lightens the weight of the engine. The cylinder block itself is made of ductile iron by casting, followed by a cylinder boring process. In order to increase rigidity, an additional bottom plate is installed in the cylinder head. The crankshaft has five bearing points with bearings. The shaft itself is made of forged steel. The pistons are made of aluminum alloy.
During the modernization process in 2006, the following improvements were made:
- installed plastic intake manifold;
- changed the shape of the valve cover;
- oil pump built into the cylinder block;
- Pistons received anti-friction coating;
- the timing chain was equipped with thicker links;
- pressure and oil level sensors replaced;
- installed air-cooled VGT turbine.
This made it possible to increase engine power to 170 hp.
Despite the fact that the D4CB engine has a successful design, proven production technology, high-quality assembly, periodically, like any complex mechanism operating in difficult conditions, it may experience malfunctions. At the same time, the nature of the occurrence of these malfunctions is not some kind ofspecific, inherent in this particular engine model, it is quite typical for all diesel engines. The most common problems include:
- Strong smoke. The main cause is usually a malfunction of the fuel equipment, including the cylinder head valve, as a result of which the fuel does not completely burn and smoke is generated.
- Possible start-up difficulties. The occurrence of this deficiency is characteristic in the winter period. Most often, the cause of this unpleasant incident is the failure of the preheating. It can also occur in case of broken contacts in the power supply system, a malfunction of the generator, a weakly charged battery.
- Loss of power and unstable motor operation. It almost always occurs due to the failure of the internal booster pump of the injection pump or the injection pump itself. In addition, sometimes this phenomenon occurs due to a dirty air filter.
- Increase in engine noise. There may be several reasons at once. Therefore, in order to avoid a major breakdown and further serious repairs, the source of increased noise should be identified and eliminated as soon as possible.
In order for the engine to work reliably, for a long period and with the lowest operating costs, it is important to follow these simple rules:
- observe maintenance schedules;
- perform engine maintenance in full withusing original consumables recommended by the manufacturer;
- timely replace the timing chain;
- keep the fuel system clean and service the fuel filter in a timely manner;
- avoid tow-start options;
- warm up the engine before driving;
- avoid prolonged movement at high speeds;
- if necessary, use only high-quality spare parts for repairs, carry out repairs in qualified workshops.
For all Kia and Hyundai cars that are equipped with a D4CB engine, the maintenance interval is set at 15,000 km. If the vehicle is operated in difficult conditions, which include constant trips in the city, as well as on dusty country roads, the frequency of maintenance should be reduced to 7,500 km.
Engine repair and spare parts
In the case of a Kia or Hyundai engine repair, it is necessary to purchase high-quality spare parts. One of the good options is the purchase of contract spare parts. Contract spare parts are parts and assemblies removed from emergency vehicles in Europe and Japan. Such spare parts are several times cheaper than the original ones, but they are of high quality, including the D4CB contract engine. This is due to the fact that all car servicing in these regions is carried out on time and in full, and only original spare parts are used for repairs.
Repairing any engine is an expensive undertaking. In order for it to be of high quality and to allow further reliable and long-term operation of the car, it is necessary to carry it out in the conditions of specialized service workshops. These workshops have the necessary equipment and qualified craftsmen to carry out the work, and also provide a guarantee for the repaired engine.
Kia vehicles with D4CB engine:
Hyundai vehicles with D4CB engine:
- H-1 Travel.
- H-1 STAREX.
- H-1 van.
- H-1 Cargo.
- PORTER (pickup).
- PORTER (van).
- H350 (bus).
- H350 (platform).