2023 Author: Erin Ralphs | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-20 18:31
The concept is familiar to almost every driver due to its great importance for the operation of the car. The task of the ABS sensor is to ensure safety, if the driver wants to stop the "steel horse". Thanks to sensor elements, information about the degree of rotation of the wheels is sent to the ABS computer. The device conducts a thorough analysis of the received information, assisting the diagnostician in building a suitable algorithm for repair actions. If there are doubts about the serviceability, information on how to ring the ABS sensor by doing it yourself or in a car service will be useful.
Main components of ABS
Before conducting self-diagnosis, you should understand the structure of the system. If you are interested in how to ring the ABS sensor, then it is important to know the basic elements: control unit, hydraulics, brakes, disc rotational speed meters. A considerable numberThe wiring also needs to be checked from time to time. How to recognize faults?
More on symptoms of problems
The machine lets you know about the occurrence of sensor malfunctions using the dashboard. The indicator lights up when the structure is deactivated, this happens in case of the slightest defects. This makes it clear that the protective device has ceased to function and it is necessary to ring the ABS sensor for further repair.
- The wheels lock up in case of hard braking.
- When using the brake pedal, the car owner does not hear a characteristic knock and does not feel vibration.
- As he accelerates, he sees that the arrow on the speedometer "does not show signs of life" or is slow.
- The parking brake makes itself felt, signaling on the "tidy", its light does not go out.
When the device behaves incorrectly, it means that you need to ring the ABS sensor, solving the issue of fixing the problem. To start replacing it right away is unjustified, you must first diagnose it. You can do it yourself.
Nuances of he alth monitoring methods
To determine the condition of the elements, you will have to perform ABS diagnostics, which includes the following series of measures.
- First of all, you need to inspect the fuses, after opening the block.
- When you find a burnt product, you need to replace it with a new one.
- You should inspect the connectors for integrity, wiring onthe presence of wear, which leads to a short circuit.
- It will be necessary to check the parts for contamination, "wounds" received during mechanical strikes.
- It is important not to "blink" fixing the device with other elements.
If the above steps are useless in diagnosing ABS with your own hands, you will have to contact the center for verification on a tester or stand with an oscilloscope.
Why do they break?
Sensors are exposed to aggressive chemical environments and can be damaged by tire impact. They are adversely affected by dirt, sand, stones. The gear wipes it, and overheating of the caliper leads to a deplorable state, the product simply melts.
Multimeter is an effective tool
Thinking about how to ring the ABS sensor with a multimeter, the driver will have to get acquainted with the details of the operation of this device. You will need a tester, wires with special connectors and a PIN. A device that measures current is called a "multimeter". This diagnostic assistant is universal: it combines the options of a voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter. Analog and digital models will help to determine the nature and location of the fault with high accuracy.
To obtain information about the functioning of the sensor, you will need to make measurements in the circuit. To do this:
- The Iron Horse is jacked up.
- There should be no obstacles to access - the wheel should be boldly removed to the side.
- Remove the cover from the control device. controllerconnectors must be disconnected.
- PIN should be synchronized with the multimeter by connecting it simultaneously with the sensor's pin socket.
Resistance is measured by contacts. Now is the time to remember the instructions carefully provided by the manufacturer:
- The electrical circuit must be checked by ringing the sensor wiring.
- The wheel must be rotated by hand, while measuring the resistance indicators. The rotation speed dictates the parameters on the tester.
- Next, you need to switch to the voltmeter mode to measure the voltage. The wheel spins at a rate of 1 revolution per second. The normal value is from 0.25 to 1W.
It is important to note: the parameters of the device must match the manual for the repair and operation of the "swallow".
What problems might you encounter?
In good condition, the front right abs sensor will show from 7 to 25 ohms. Difficulties begin in the following cases:
- The resistance numbers are below the minimum threshold, which means that the sensor is not working correctly.
- The value is approaching zero - a short circuit has appeared.
- Instability when the electrical wire is twitching - the network contacts are broken.
- If there is no indication, the system “pleases” with a break in the wiring.
Note! On the front and rear axles, the same readings cannot be. The difference can reach 1 kOhm.
What to do when a breakdown is detected?
When faults are found, it is sometimes necessary to replace the front left or right ABS sensor. If anxiety causedelectrical wiring, you can fix the situation yourself. Integrity is restored by soldering, with the winding of the joints with electrical tape.
When the anti-blocking light on the panel comes on, it is a clearly marked sign of the sensor “jamming”. The lack of technical knowledge and experience in repair motivates a car enthusiast to contact a professional car repair shop, where they will find the answer to the exciting question of how to ring the abs sensor with a tester and help fix the problem.
A set of research measures is a way out of the situation.
- It doesn't hurt to check the appearance of the tires more closely for wear.
- Determining tire pressure is important. It needs to be balanced.
- Hub bearings should be inspected for free play.
Additional diagnostic features
Regarding data processing units, they can be frisky and unhurried in the code exchange format. Any block is endowed with connectors for connecting and carrying out diagnostic procedures when the ignition is triggered. "Sharp" error codes are checked against the catalog, a "diagnosis" is made. Separate blocks do not allow reading codes - they are described in the catalog.
Features of unhurried code decoding
Devices of this kind have connectors with the same mark as L-Line. Experts advise to buy an adapter responsible for unhurried encoding. Error codes are easily recognized by numbersignals emitted by the adapter LED. It reads like this: the driver sees three flashes and a pause - this is the number "3".
Using the stand
Demands on brake systems have risen along with the increase in motorway traffic. A large number of cars are equipped with anti-lock systems. In the examination of brakes and ABS, a stand for testing abs sensors located in the service station takes part. This is the fastest, most accurate approach. The time for diagnosing the ABS sensor on the Gazelle takes only three minutes thanks to the computer control of the stand. The priority of this equipment is to exclude the human factor in work. In addition to the state of the brake, you can check the electrical circuits, the quality of the signals from autosensors, valves, modulators is assessed.
Serving the stands is easy thanks to the clear display interface. Abnormal phenomena with transport are examined using the Bilanamatic 10000 auto-diagnostic line. This means increased efficiency, adaptation to different operating conditions.
General characteristics of stands
In the walls of the service station, a platform is installed, placed at floor level, with excellent functionality. The stand is arranged with imitation of asph alt pavement. It takes readings displayed on the monitor. According to them, the specialist draws conclusions, takes measures to eliminate the problem. The functioning of the sensors is based on hydraulics, and error fluctuations are allowed here up to 10%.
The oscilloscope allows you to measure the level of resistance with high accuracy, detecting failures in the brakes. The only negative is that the equipment is quite expensive, not every car repair shop is able to purchase it. The ABS in its operation relies on information coming from inductive sensors mounted on the hubs. When braking hard, the ECU will not receive a signal from one wheel. It is lost because the tire is implied to be blocked. It signals the solenoid valves to relieve hydraulic pressure for a couple of seconds and to unlock the wheel until the unit notices the return of the signal.
That is why the role of sensors is invaluable. They work almost the same way with crankshaft sensors. A sinusoidal waveform is reflected on the oscilloscope screen. With its help, you can find out about damage caused by mechanical impact on the combs of the hub, see the wear of magnetic coating in inductive sensor systems.
Before work, be sure to jack up the car. The Oscilloscope program can be downloaded from the Internet and installed on a laptop. The faster we spin the wheel, the more vibrations.