In the article we will talk about the nuances of replacing the timing belt on a Chevrolet Aveo. The problem with all the engines of this car is that when the belt breaks, all the valves bend. And the cost of repairing a cylinder head is much higher than replacing a belt, rollers, and even a liquid pump combined. After all, you will have to buy a set of new valves, seals for them, and grind them in. This procedure is simple, but labor-intensive (if you do it yourself) or expensive (if at the service station).
When to replace?
To prevent a break, the timing belt should be replaced with a Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 l every 50 thousand kilometers. And diagnostics of the condition must be carried out every 15-20 thousand km. Among the signs that indicate that you need to carry outreplacement of the timing gear drive, the following can be distinguished:
- Damage of belt teeth.
- Appearance of cracks or chips on the surface.
- The belt began to delaminate - usually this is due to the impact of an aggressive environment on the material.
- Damage to the sides of the belt.
- Appearance of oil stains or traces of antifreeze.
Only the belt needs to be replaced?
If you notice traces of oil, then this indicates a malfunction of the oil seal. Therefore, when repairing, you need to replace it as well. It is worth noting the fact that not only the belt needs to be changed in the system, pay attention to the tension roller, oil seals, the condition of the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys. When replacing a timing belt on a Chevrolet Aveo 1.6 l, you need to pay attention to all the little things. This is especially true for older cars.
Be sure to evaluate the condition of the fluid pump (pump). The problem is that it can fall apart with high mileage. Check the play to make sure the assembly is working, pay attention to whether there are traces of antifreeze near the pump. Pump resource - no more than 100,000 km. Approximately the same lifespan for antifreezes - during this time all useful additives evaporate from the liquid.
What you need to replace
Diagnostics will show whether it is necessary to replace the timing belt on a Chevrolet Aveo or not. If repairs are inevitable, then you need to prepare tools and materials. You will need a new quality belttiming gear drive. You can purchase both original and analogue. Two rollers are included with the original product. Such a kit has a rather high cost - about 5000 rubles.
Quite often there is a need to treat a new pump, This is especially true for cars with a mileage of more than 100,000 km. Please note that the Chevrolet Aveo has a strictly regulated timing for replacing the timing belt - 50,000 km. But make sure that all related mechanisms are in good condition.
In the event that you replace the coolant pump, you will also have to change the liquid in the cooling system. The tools for doing the job are as follows:
- Set of ring spanners.
- Socket 14.
- Hex key or asterisk, it all depends on what year the car was made.
- Screwdriver set.
- A key to adjust the roller, it is usually included with the original belt and rollers.
It is worth noting that the presence of a viewing hole or overpass is not necessary, since you will carry out most of the manipulations under the hood.
How to check the he alth of the mechanism
In the event that you decide to replace the belt, you should first carry out diagnostic work. Find all possible signs of wear, if any. To do the job, you need a hexagon for five, or a bit.
The execution procedure is as follows:
- Unscrew the bolts securing the front cover, which closes the timing drive.
- Installing a jack on the passenger side to hang the wheel.
- After that, shift into fifth gear and spin the wheel while inspecting the timing belt for damage.
- If you find cuts, cracks, peeling, then you need to replace. If traces of antifreeze are found near the pump, the belt must also be replaced.
- Inspect the tension roller. It has a maximum resource of 100,000 km, so it is replaced every other time.
- Measure the deflection of the belt with a force of 10 kg. The deflection distance must be measured between the camshaft gears. The belt should flex 5-7mm.
- The next step is to check the degree of stretching of the belt. To do this, look at the labels. If the deflection is too large, then the belt is overstretched.
Step by step guide
As you understand, if you adhere to the frequency of replacing the timing belt on a Chevrolet Aveo, then you will not have emergency repairs. To remove the belt, follow these steps:
- Remove the air filter housing.
- Remove all pipes that will interfere.
- Dismantle the right wheel and motor protection.
- Drain the coolant, place a jack under the engine.
- Remove the right mudguard.
- Remove the right motor mount.
- Now access to the timing will open, but you need to unscrew the bolts and removecasing.
- Set the first cylinder to TDC.
- Fix the crankshaft.
- Remove the bolt and remove the pulley.
- Set all labels.
Next you need to unscrew the pump mount, it is she who will loosen the belt tension.
When replacing the timing belt on a Chevrolet Aveo, you have to drain the coolant from the system, even if you do not change the pump. It is worth noting that similar manipulations are carried out on Daewoo-Nexia cars, since exactly the same motors are installed on them. Installation of the belt and rollers is carried out in exactly the reverse order. Just make sure all marks match before starting the motor.
What affects belt life
Of course, there are many cases where drivers drive more without even thinking about replacing the drive. But the serviceability of this product is characterized not only by its integrity. During operation, stretching necessarily occurs, because of this, the tension decreases, and the risk of slippage, on the contrary, increases significantly.
Please note that timing belt life can be affected by various factors. In particular, this is the original quality of the product, the driving style, the ingress of liquid or foreign objects inside the timing compartment. It is almost impossible to say exactly how long the belt will last. In order to avoid having to repair the cylinder head, it is best to check the condition of the product from time to time.