2023 Author: Erin Ralphs | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:49
Stop any machine is due to friction. It occurs between the pads and the metal surface of the disc or drum. On VAZ cars of the Samara series, disc brakes were installed on the front axle, and drum brakes on the rear axle. The latter have a high service life due to the fact that they account for about 30% of the total load when the car stops. But still they need to be constantly checked and changed. We will tell you how to replace the rear brake pads on the VAZ-2109 in our article.
When is replacement performed
Usually replace the rear brake pads on a VAZ-2109 car in such cases:
- If the friction linings are completely worn out, while the layer thickness is less than 1.5 mm.
- If there are traces of oil on the clutch surface.
- The pads have a lot of free play, with the base theyvery loosely connected.
- There are chips, cuts and other signs of deformation on the pads.
Design and features of pads
On VAZ-2109 cars, like on most budget models, drum brakes are installed at the rear.
Their design is not very complicated, just a few components can be distinguished:
- Metal base.
- Friction lining. It is connected to the base with the help of an adhesive composition. Rivets are sometimes used.
Rear Pad Features:
- In total, two pairs of pads are placed on the rear axle.
- Metal parts coated with anti-corrosion layer.
- The friction pad is glued to the base. This is done at a temperature of 100 degrees.
- Due to additional processing, the necessary roughness is given to the surface. This speeds up the grinding of elements.
- Please note that the force acting in the system is very large. So, when braking from a speed of 80 km / h, the following indicators are relevant: the force on the pads is 320 Nm; pressure in the brake system - 40 bar. The pads may move off the surface of the base. To do this, they need to be affected by a force of 210 N/cm2.
- The materials from which the pads are made are fully ISO 9001 certified.
- Due to the use of modern means during braking, the noise level is reduced. This, of course, affects the comfort of people,in the cabin.
- The elements have very high wear resistance. Their resource under normal conditions is 70-90 thousand km. But it all depends to a greater extent on what kind of driving style the motorist has. Not the last role is played by the quality of the road surface on which the car moves.
It is imperative to timely replace the rear brake pads on the VAZ-2109. With your own hands, all the work can be done fairly quickly, but you will have to take into account some points. Most importantly, stick to the sequence.
How to remove pads?
Before replacing the brake pads on the VAZ-2109, you need to remove them. It is recommended to thoroughly clean the entire surface under them: dirt and metal chips usually accumulate there. Disassembly sequence:
- Handbrake lever needs to be pushed down.
- Shift into first gear at the gearbox.
- Install chocks under the front wheels.
- It is recommended to raise the entire rear of the machine by placing it on stands.
- Next, remove the wheel and completely clean the entire mechanism. Please note that do not use gasoline, diesel or mineral type solvents for cleaning.
- If there is a lot of liquid in the expansion tank (close to the maximum mark), then you need to pump it out a little. Otherwise, the liquid may splash out during the replacement.
- Unscrew the two pins and carefully remove the brakedrum.
- Use the pliers to remove the lower and upper springs. You also need to remove the guide spring, which is located on the front shoe (in the direction of travel).
- First remove the front shoe, then remove the expander bar and guide spring. Disconnect the drive lever from the handbrake cable.
- Remove the cotter pin and remove the support washer.
- Remove the rear pad and remove the support washer.
How to install new pads?
Before replacing the rear brake pads on the VAZ-2109, you need to make sure that this is necessary. Visually inspect the condition of the element, use a ruler to measure the thickness of the clutch. Brake pads are installed in reverse order. It is recommended to press the piston cylinders with a hand vise. It is also necessary to machine the drums and center them. If the thickness of the drum is small, then you need to put new ones.
When removing and replacing the rear brake pads on the VAZ-2109, it is not necessary to bleed the system. This will have to be done if you are replacing the cylinder or line tubes.
Many modern cars are equipped with disc brakes both front and rear. But they also produce cars that use rear brake drums. This mechanism has been used in the automotive industry for over 100 years. Like many other elements, such a brake system can wear out, and then it is necessary to dismantle and replace these parts
Information about what VAZ-2110 brake pads are. The design, principle of operation, selection features and replacement process are given
Brake discs are the most important part in the system of any car. The condition of this part depends on the safety of the driver, passengers and other road users. If one of the discs is worn out, this is a direct safety hazard on the road. Often the front discs experience higher loads, but this does not mean that the rear brake disc is not a critical part. This element requires maintenance, replacement and repair in the same way as the front
Brake pads are an important component in cars. The main task is to brake and stop the car. There are 8 of them in the car, that is, 4 in the back and 4 in the front. If these parts fail, then the car starts to slow down and stop worse, and there are also extraneous noises that will interfere with the driver and passengers. Therefore, it is necessary not only to monitor the he alth of this node, but to update the elements in time. Consider replacing the rear pads VAZ-2107 in our article
Brake pads for Mazda-3: an overview of manufacturers, advantages and disadvantages, replacement features, owner reviews
The Mazda3 has gained wide popularity in many countries around the world. Drivers are happy to buy sedans and hatchbacks because of the modern appearance, excellent chassis tuning and reliable power plants. All new models are serviced at dealerships, and the car owner often deals with a used car himself, in his garage. Therefore, the questions about which brake pads on the Mazda-3 are better to choose and what difficulties you will encounter when replacing them are relevant