Tuning a bumper for a car is a rather difficult operation that involves many processes. It can be performed by professionals or with your own hands, but it is still hard work that takes a lot of time and effort.
Tuning bumper can be front and rear, as well as on a car or truck. In the article, we will consider the most common technologies for manufacturing front and rear modified parts, installing accessories, what to do if the part was broken.
Of course, you can buy a finished product from the factory. It will be standard, cost less, but its aerodynamic and streamlined properties are too low. Therefore, usually motorists do bumper tuning to order, according to an individual project. This method is quite widespread in Germany, USA and Japan. In the CIS, this technology appeared only 10 years ago, which gave impetus to the development of tuning studios and ateliers in the post-Soviet space.
Bumper tuning options
There are several options for making a tunedbumper. All technologies are popular in their own way and are applied depending on the car. So, what is this tuning part made of:
- Metal alloy.
All these materials are good in their own way, they have pluses and minuses. They have different prices and other factors, which we will discuss below.
Plastic itself is considered a rather brittle material, but with the right processing it becomes durable and suitable for tuning. Most modern cars have regular plastic bumpers, which are made of plastic alloy mixed with other materials.
Let's take a closer look at the bumper tuning technology, as well-known studios BSS, AEK, ATE, JP and others do:
- Preparation of material. They take plastic that has already served its purpose (it is best to use broken old buffers). It is broken and placed in a crucible, put on fire so that the plastic melts. You need to use only ceramic containers so that the material does not stick to the walls. Once the plastic has melted, it should be cast into a mold to form a sheet. Then you need to cool it down so that the material hardens.
- Design engineering. To do this, the designer and measurer take measurements of the old bumper and create a 3D model of a standard product on a computer. After that, design development and aerodynamic calculations begin. So, a new bumper model with all the parameters is born.
- All calculations are transferred to the performer, who, using a special hair dryer, shadows and ready-made frames, makes the basis for the future detail.
- Production of mounts and seats for accessories. This is done with a soldering iron. Each fastener must be positioned exactly according to the drawing, as incorrect installation will result in the rejection of the part and its manufacture again. The master clearly solders the fasteners, and also makes cuts for the grille, optics and other elements that will be installed.
- Finishing includes trying on the finished product and finalizing the part, which will then be processed with a special hardener for plastic like PF-110.
The main points on the technology of manufacturing a plastic bumper are considered, then we move on to the next material - fiberglass.
This is the easiest and most common way to make tuning parts. Fiberglass easily takes any shape, because it is made in a roll and requires a special liquid for curing - epoxy or resin with a gelcoat hardener.
Thus, tuning a bumper using fiberglass is quite simple:
- Take a roll of fiberglass and tear it into small pieces. The optimal size is considered to be 30x30 cm.
- Applying the hardener to the torn piece, put the next one and so on. It is worth remembering that the shape must be betrayed immediately, because after drying it will be impossible to bend.
- After the part is ready, it is puttied, primed and painted.
Production technology from technical plasticine
Do-it-yourself bumper tuning is done mainly from technical plasticine. It perfectly takes the desired shape and does not require special tools. In fact, this is a molding of what the motorist wants. In order to make a bumper tuning, it is worth remembering the lessons of labor from childhood.
Painting in this case is carried out according to the standard scheme. In order to keep the paintwork, the surface should be degreased, then putty should be applied. After that, apply in two steps on a layer of soil and paint the part.
VAZ bumper tuning is carried out in this way. True, this applies only to cars of the Classic series, namely the VAZ 2101-2107. Although many motorists choose fiberglass as the basis, because they believe that it is cheaper to make bumper tuning from it. The price of plasticine is lower, since no additional materials or equipment are required, it turns out that this material is the less expensive part. At the same time, plasticine is easier to work with than fiberglass.
Metal or a mixture of metals becomes the basis for tuning the bumper on SUVs. Why this particular material? Anyone interested in tuning has noticed that many crossovers have a winch in the front, which the plastic or fiberglass part simply cannot withstand.
Tuning the front bumper on an SUV is carried out in order to strengthen the car and install an additionalequipment. In addition to the winch (hoist), a kenguryatnik can be installed, which protects the front of the car from various types of solid objects. It is mainly placed on cars that participate in off-road racing, as well as travel through forest and mountainous areas.
Tuning the rear bumper is the installation of a tow hitch and built-in additional light. In most cases, the towbar is chrome-plated and has an attractive exterior design. For technical purposes, it is rarely used, but more serves to perfect the design of an SUV or pickup truck.
Tuning domestic cars
VAZ car owners often prefer to tune their cars. This is used by manufacturers of parts. Important in this process is the price of the bumper. VAZ tuning is quite common among motorists. If you decide to change your bumper, expect a price in the region of $100-$300, depending on the model. If you have a VAZ 2107, the cost will be about $50-70. For example, a tuned bumper costs about 170-200 dollars for a VAZ-2172. "Priora", the tuning of which is often done by the owners, becomes unrecognizable after these changes.
The legendary "Volga" firmly settled in second place. Here prices range from $150 to $500. The high cost is due to the fact that the cavity of the part is larger, and, accordingly, the material and time it takes to manufacture more.
Of course, prices for bumpers are very different for domestic cars. Tuning VAZ therefore also has a different cost, which includes the price of the part itself and the services of the master.
Bumper tuning is a complex process that requires certain equipment and skills. Usually parts that are custom-made are painted in the color of the car. Consider the complete technological process of painting a tuned bumper:
- You need to start with the fact that it is worth preparing the part. To do this, the surface is polished, all roughness, as well as flaws, are removed. This is done using an angle grinder and special polishing wheels, which are different for different materials.
- Degreasing. Everyone knows that this is done using special tools, such as a solvent.
- Applying putty. As in construction, when puttying a bumper, start and finish putty is used. Each manufacturer chooses himself. First, the starting version is applied with a thin layer, and when it dries, they finish the work with a finishing putty. After drying, the surface should be sanded.
- Priming. This process is simple. Apply 2 coats of primer with a spray gun.
- When the primer has dried, we proceed to the painting stage. The paintwork is applied in 2 layers. It is worth noting that the varnish is applied if the surface is plastic or metal.
Painting can be done by hand withavailability of special equipment or contact professional painters. Ends with painting tuning bumper. Coloring prices start at $200.
The accessory part is very important. This includes:
- Installation of additional optics, daytime running lights, fog lights and parking lights.
- Manufacture or purchase with further installation of chrome products. For production, special baths are used, which, with the help of electricity, allow an ordinary metal part to become shiny and attractive.
- Installation of grilles, which can usually be purchased inexpensively in stores.
- Other accessories.
Thus, after attaching these parts, the bumper takes on its final form and is installed on the car.