The main purpose of car tires is to provide reliable grip on the road surface. In this regard, a rather extensive problem arises - tire wear. This factor can significantly reduce ride comfort as well as the safety of passengers inside.
Two categories of wear are conditionally distinguished. The first includes those tires whose service life has exceeded the permissible values. Such tire wear occurs not only on a physical, but also on a moral level. The second category includes tires that failed as a result of any defect or mechanical damage.
In turn, each of these two categories is divided into subcategories: tires that can still be restored, and tires that are unsuitable for further use. In this regard, it should be remembered that the life of retread tires is significantly reduced.
Tire wear is an irreversible and inevitable process that directly depends on operating conditions, established mileage standards and manufacturer's recommendations. This parameter affects not only the convenience of the driver and passengers, but also fuel consumption.
Things that cause increased tire wear include:
- Non-compliancetire pressure limits.
- Incorrect installation and removal of the tire.
- Faulty steering or running gear of the car.
- Infrequent vehicle and tire inspections.
- Frequent movement on crushed stone and gravel.
- High speed driving for a long time.
- Sporty driving style.
- The quality of the road surface.
There are a few rules that can be followed to extend the period of tire wear. Here are some of them.
- Compliance with the seasonality of tires. You should not delay the replacement of summer tires with winter ones and vice versa. It will also keep you and your passengers safe.
- Careful driving. Driving without slipping, sudden starts and braking will significantly increase the life of the tires.
- Storage. Before putting the tire on the far shelf, it is necessary to clean it, protect it from the effects of oils and gasoline, temperature fluctuations and direct sunlight. It is also desirable to treat each tire with a special compound.
- Tire pressure monitoring. Unfortunately, many car owners forget about this recommendation. But improper tire alignment can lead to rapid wear and unsafe use.
- Rotation. This measure will prevent uneven tire wear. The point is that you need to periodically rearrange the tires from the right side to the left and vice versa. It is also possible to swap tires from the front and rearwheels, since the front wheels are more subject to wear. However, before doing anything, it is better to consult a qualified specialist who will tell you when and how best to make a replacement.
As mentioned earlier, not only the driver's consciousness, but also the quality of the road surface on which the car is moving has a great influence.