American jeeps have proven themselves only on the positive side. These heavy machines are appreciated not only by the inhabitants of America, but also by the rest of the world. Russia is no exception. Considering the technical characteristics of SUVs, you can see the full power of their units. American car companies do not create budget options, nor is it their goal to produce economical vehicles.
Immediately note that those wishing to purchase a chic American jeep will have to pay a considerable amount. These cars are also expensive to maintain. Let's take a look at fuel consumption. This figure breaks all records. In mixed mode, cars consume more than 10 liters. However, this is not surprising. Firstly, they are all large-sized, and secondly, they are equipped with powerful engines. There is another explanation for this. Gasoline is cheap in America. That is why car companies do not set themselves the goal of creating an energy-intensive vehicle. However, if thiscan become a significant disadvantage for a domestic buyer, then the appearance, quality and aerodynamic properties will be an absolute plus. American jeeps, the brands of which we will consider a little later, can go through any off-road. According to this criterion, they have no equal.
Best American Jeeps
Creating a rating of popular SUVs, authoritative publications highlight cars manufactured by American companies. They are fundamentally different from European and Asian models. In the lines of the latter there are economical copies. First of all, you should pay attention to the fact that the power plants that American jeeps are equipped with have a volume of at least 3 liters. Reinforced suspension and impressive body size are the hallmarks of these models. So, let's look at the brightest representatives of this class.
"Hammer". This car has long been a leader in the ranking of SUVs. For all time, three generations have been released. However, the most prominent representative was the Hummer H1. This model is widely used in the armed forces of the United States of America and other NATO countries. The car is equipped with a 5.7-liter gasoline engine, as well as diesel units, the minimum volume of which is 6.2 liters. The maximum power that the Hummer H1 produces is 300 hp. s
Cadillac Escalade ("Cadillac Escalade"). This model is equipped with modern technology and is the most luxurious among American jeeps. In the line there is a copy with an elongated body. The salon is designed for 7 seats.The power plants are powerful with large volumes
Also no less representative are the models of companies Ford, Chevrolet, Jeep, Dodge. All of them deserve special attention.
This model was launched in 1997. In 2005, it was awarded the title of the largest SUV. The Expedition line comes in three generations:
- first - from 1997 to 2002
- second - from 2003 to 2006
- third - from 2007 to present.
These cars are all-wheel drive. Equipped with eight-cylinder engines, from 4.6 to 5.4 liters. The latter squeezes out 310 liters. With. Works in tandem with a 6-speed automatic transmission. In the latest models, the manufacturer has upgraded the power unit. Ethanol and gasoline can now be used to fuel the Ford Expedition. Fuel consumption is very high. For 100 km, the car will require from 19 to 21 liters. 2009 models can tow a 4.2t trailer.
The American "Jeep Cherokee" was produced in 5 generations:
- First - from 1974 to 1983
- Second - from 1984 to 2001
- Third - from 2001 to 2007
- Fourth - from 2007 to 2012
- Fifth - 2013 to present.
The V generation model is equipped with three power plants. The first is used in the basic configuration. Its working volume is 2.4 liters. Has 16 valves. Maximum power - 177 liters. With. It is installed in tandem with a 9-speed "automatic". It takes about 10 seconds to accelerate.It consumes 8.3 liters of fuel per 100 km. The second unit installed on the American crossover is a six-cylinder. Its volume is 3.2 liters. Power - 272 liters. With. Accelerates in 8 seconds, fuel consumption - about 10 liters. The latest in this line is a diesel unit. Its volume is 2 liters. Power is 170 liters. With. In terms of fuel consumption, it can be called the most economical, since in mixed mode it consumes only 6 liters.
This model belongs to the premium class. For all time 4 generations have been released:
- first - from 1990 to 2000
- second - from 2002 to 2006
- third - from 2007 to 2012
- fourth - 2013 to present.
Modern Cadillac Escalade models are equipped with an 8-cylinder engine. Its volume is 6.2 liters. The power that the driver can count on is 409 hp. With. Comes with a six-speed automatic transmission. Accelerates to "weave" in less than 7 seconds. Fuel consumption - from 10 to 18 liters. The speed limit is 180 km/h.
History represented by four generations has the Chevrolet Tahoe. The technical characteristics of the first copies of this line differ significantly from the latest developments. Representatives of the IV generation are full-fledged premium cars.
- First Generation - 1995 to 2000
- Second - from 2000 to 2006
- Third - from 2006 to 2014
- Fourth - from 2013 tothis day.
Chevrolet Tahoe IV can be called a luxury giant. It is equipped with a 6.2-liter engine with eight cylinders. Produces 409 horsepower. With. Comes with 6 speed automatic. Despite its size, it accelerates to "weave" in less than 7 s. The maximum limit is 180 km/h. Fuel consumes more than 13 liters.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
When considering American jeeps, one cannot remain silent about the model that rolled off the assembly line in 2006, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It is a five-door SUV. Equipped with two types of motors:
- Six-cylinder has a volume of 3.6 liters. Type - gasoline. Maximum power - 284 liters. With. The speed limit is 180 km/h.
- Diesel plant with a volume of 2.8 liters allows you to produce a power of 200 liters. s.
These units are equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission. The car will spend from 9 to 12 seconds to accelerate. The maximum speed limit for a diesel engine will be 169 km/h. Cars with a gasoline engine consume an average of about 12 liters, with a diesel engine - 9 liters.
In 2003, a new Hummer model was introduced. She was assigned the index H3. American jeeps of this brand ceased to be produced in 2010. The third generation is equipped with three engines:
- The basic package included a 5-cylinder unit. Its working volume was 3.5 liters. Completed with "mechanics" for 5 speeds. Unit power- 223 l. With. This allowed the car to accelerate to "weave" in 10 seconds. About 15 liters of gasoline were consumed per 100 km of city driving.
- Vortek was the more powerful engine. Its volume was 3.7 liters. Power power was fixed at 245 hp. With. It was equipped with two types of transmission: "mechanics" for 5 speeds and a 4-speed "automatic". It takes no more than 10 seconds to accelerate to the “weave”. Fuel consumption - from 12 to 15 l.
- The last unit that the Hummer H3 was equipped with was a 5.3 liter engine. Equipped with 8 cylinders. The car is capable of a top speed of 165 km/h. Power limit - 305 liters. With. Fuel consumption per 100 km - more than 18 liters. The car can accelerate in 8 seconds.
In 2007 there was a presentation of a new model of American manufacturers Dodge Journey. This car can be called universal, as it resembles a station wagon in terms of filling, and in terms of dimensions it occupies a position between a minivan and a crossover. Externally, the model looks quite impressive. The Russian market offers options with three types of engines. All of them are equipped only with automatic transmission.
- Engine for 4 cylinders. Produces 175 horsepower. With. Has a volume of 2.4 liters. Speed maximum - 188 km / h. Accelerates in 12 seconds.
- Gasoline 2.7-liter unit for 6 cylinders. The power of the installation is 185 hp. With. The speed limit is 182 km / h. Gaining the first "weave" in 10 seconds. Gasoline consumption - about 10l.
- The six-cylinder 3.7-liter engine is the most powerful in this range (280 hp). Accelerates from a standstill to 100 km / h in 8 seconds. The maximum speed that this car can develop is limited to 206 km / h. Consumes about 14 liters in a combined cycle.
Chevrolet New Captiva
In 2011, the Chevrolet Captiva was restyled. Due to significant changes in technical equipment, there was a change in the target audience. American jeeps of this series were also updated in 2013. As a result, now buyers can purchase a car with a clearance of 200 mm and dimensions of 4673 x 1868 x 1756 mm. As for the technical equipment, the range of engines is represented by three units: two of them are gasoline and one diesel.
In the basic configuration, a four-cylinder unit with a volume of 2.4 liters is installed. Its potential power is fixed at around 167 hp. With. It is completed with two types of transmission: 6-speed "mechanics" and the same "automatic".
Second installation 6-cylinder. Equipped with continuous fuel supply. Engine capacity - 3 liters. Capable of producing 249 horsepower. With. Installed in tandem with an automatic transmission.
The diesel unit has a volume of 2.2 liters. It is capable of making 3,800 revolutions per minute. Power is 184 liters. With. The American jeep Captiva of the new modification accelerates to "weave" in an average of 10 seconds. The speed limit, depending on the configuration, can vary from 175 to 198 km/h (maximumindicators). The diesel plant is the most economical: on average, it consumes about 7 liters of fuel per 100 km. Gasoline engines for the same distance consume from 10 liters.