2023 Author: Erin Ralphs | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-20 18:31
The brake system uses the ability of the brake fluid, poured into it, not to compress, simultaneously with effort, providing one hundred percent transmission of movement along the entire circuit: from the depressed pedal to the functioning cylinders. It works in the manner described, provided it meets the manufacturer's specifications. Let's find out how, without the help of car service specialists, to understand if the time has come "H", how to fill in new content into the system, and also how to extend the life of the Ford Focus 2 brake fluid.
Alarming bells become a signal for the car owner: braking efficiency is steadily declining, drifts increase when cornering.
The first thing to do is look under the hood to make sure everything is in order with the amount of content in the expansion tank. The brake fluid level in the Ford should be at the “maximum” mark.
When the instrument panel indicates a low level in the maincylinder, do not rush to add it to the system. The warning may also apply to the operation of the pads. To check the degree of wear, it is necessary to measure their thickness and degree of wear, and if necessary, replace them.
The content of the expansion tank is recommended by certified Focus salons to be updated every two years or upon reaching 40 thousand kilometers. In any case, when the critical period approaches, it is necessary to make sure that it is in good condition and has not lost the ability to absorb water from the surrounding atmosphere. Excess moisture damages internal components and tubes, corrodes the brake cylinder.
Replacement time: how to determine
Under reference conditions (enclosed space where moisture does not enter), Ford brake fluid is able to perform its functions indefinitely without requiring replacement. During actual operation, the braking system has compensation channels and valves interconnected with the atmosphere and the closed space of the circuit.
Air gets inside anyway. A chemical oxidation reaction of additives occurs, provoking corrosion. The amount of liquid more than 3-5 percent is critical. At the same time, it can freeze when hypothermic or boil when overheated.
What's going on inside
The liquid includes without fail several varieties of alcohol with high hygroscopicity. The higher the humidity in the atmosphere, the more activeabsorption. Its gradual “moisturizing” leads to faster freezing at sub-zero temperatures and boiling at even the slightest overheating.
In the operation of any mechanism, safety always comes to the fore. For a car, this is the ability to slow down quickly and in time, if taking the vehicle into a skid, then at a minimum. Therefore, a sensible motorist should carefully monitor the operation of the entire circuit responsible for the process of reducing speed and stopping. Don't skimp on safety! The timely replacement of the brake fluid in the Ford, prescribed in the owner's manual, should be carried out at least once every two years, even if the mileage has not reached a critical point.
When you press the pedal, the transmitted force causes the pads mounted on the wheels to work. The friction force increases, the car slows down, the movement stops. When heated and boiled, steam locks form, slowing down the shutdown process.
The contents of the system have different viscosities and boiling points in accordance with DOT (USA) standards. In Russia, the parameters of other international standards are also used - ISO 4925 and SAE J 1703. There are no own norm criteria in the Russian Federation, so Russian manufacturers take foreign ones as a model. Which brake fluid is poured into the Ford depends on the boiling point. Classes on this basis are as follows:
- DOT-3 suitable for drum brakes;
- DOT-4 is used in the vast majority of modern machines equipped withdisk system;
- DOT-5.1 is used in sports cars and heavy duty vehicles;
- DOT-5 is poured only on highly specialized cars.
Machine performance varies over a wide temperature range. Minus 40 °C is the minimum, plus 270 °C is the maximum.
We make a replacement
DOT 4 and above is accepted as the standard. Before starting work, read the instructions and manual!
- 1.5 liters of liquid;
- cut keys for 9 and 11, circular keys for 9 and 10.
- up to 50cm hose;
- empty container for draining waste fluid.
Wheel bleeding sequence
Recommended scheme: rear (right), front (left), rear (left), front (right). This sequence is determined by the distance of the working cylinder of a particular wheel from the main one. Works are performed from the farthest to the closest:
- The car is driven onto the overpass.
- The tank cap is unscrewed (it is located above the main cylinder, under the air intake). Sometimes the structure is covered with a decorative cover from above.
- The top of the waste is removed from the tank with a syringe.
- New TJ is poured under the neck.
- The fittings are cleaned, the protection (rubber caps) is removed.
- The end of the hose is put on the fitting, the other is lowered into the prepared emptycontainer.
- The assistant presses the brake no more than 7 times, then holds it in the maximum position.
- The fitting is loosened by half a turn. Processing merges. As soon as the content becomes transparent, stop pumping!
- The fitting is twisted.
- The level of the contents of the tank - under the neck.
- The same scheme works with other wheels (see paragraphs 4-10).
- The protective rubber caps are returning.
- Check again, if low Ford brake fluid is detected, top up to normal.
Don't forget to check the clutch circuit! Their contours are different, but the tank is common. Therefore, the remaining liquid will affect the quality of the newly filled.